Saturday, February 4, 2012

The January Round Up!

January has come to an end. Yes, old news, as I am getting around to this a little late.

The last Christmas Bird Count of the season, on January 1st, got the year off to a great start, with some good birds plus a bird that I managed to miss last year, Common Redpoll. All of the rare sparrows stuck around, allowing for early month looks at Vesper, American Tree, Swamp, and White-throated, leaving me two sparrows short of my entire 2011 total!

Elsewhere birding was also good, with an aborted pelagic turning up a new ABA bird for me in the form of Emperor Goose, as well as King Eider, which I have seen only once previous.

My January end total of 133 species puts me 9 ahead of last year's Big Year pace, but a little short of my target of 140, owing to a lack of owls and a couple of others.

In other news, Rocky Point Bird Observatory raffle tickets have gone on sale, and can be purchased from RPBO, Jessie Fanucchi, or myself. Tickets are one for $5, or 5 for $20. There is an impressive slate of prizes, including lower bowl Vancouver Canucks tickets, a whale watching trip for two, 2 Sue Coleman prints, an iPod nano, a lightweight tent, etc. For more details, see http://www.rpbo.org/raffle_2012.php. Rocky Point will be down at the Westshore Town Centre Hobby Show this weekend, Feb 3rd to 5th, stop by and say hi!

Good February Birding!

No comments:

Post a Comment